A Guide to the Islamic New Year
The new Islamic year is here! The first month is Muharram, which is one of the four most sacred months for Muslims worldwide. This means Muharram holds special spiritual significance and importance. In this blog post, we will explore what makes Muharram so important in Islam and how Muslims all around the world can benefit from this incredible month.
Together we can understand Muharram on a deeper level.
What is Muharram?
Muharram is the name of the first month in the Islamic lunar calendar. Its name means "forbidden" or "sacred" in Arabic. Before Islam, fighting was banned in Muharram so pilgrims could travel safely to Mecca for Hajj. The Quran talks about months and mentions specifically ‘Four Sacred Months’. Muharram is one of these sacred months mentioned in the book of God. “Surely, the number of months according to Allah is twelve (as written) in the Book of Allah on the day He created the heavens and the Earth, of which there are Four Sacred Months. That is the right faith”. (At-Tawbah 9:36) This makes Muharram a perfect time for renewal and spiritual discovery due to its sacredness.
Why is Muharram Important?
As we’ve just highlighted Muharram is one of four sacred months chosen by Allah. Good deeds done in Muharram are extra rewarded. Sins can be erased by asking Allah for forgiveness in Muharram. That is not all however - there are some important key moments in Muharram – but what are they?
The Key Moments
• Ashura - The 10th day of Muharram. This day celebrates when Allah freed Musa and the Israelites from the evil Pharaoh. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ fasted on Ashura and Muslims can fast on this day too. The Prophet ﷺ also told us that the best month to fast after Ramadan is Muharram. He called it "Allah's Month” signifying the immense blessing and multiplication of rewards.
• First 10 days of Muharram - The first 10 days of Muharram are very blessed. Muslims should do extra good deeds like giving charity, reading Quran, and praying. But what are some of the spiritual benefits? The Spiritual Benefits of Muharram The month of Muharram is one of the best times in the Islamic New Year to:
• Make intentions to improve your character and habits.
• Give up bad habits and start good habits.
• Spend quality time with family and remember the elderly.
• Volunteer time towards social causes.
• Read Quran regularly and ask Allah for forgiveness.
• Engage in devotional worship like the Night Prayer
Is Muharram a good time to give charity?
That is a great question! Giving to charity in Muharram is highly rewarded by Allah. Many Muslims give their yearly Zakat charity during Muharram. Donating to help poor people and orphans is encouraged in this month due to the immense blessings. During Sacred Months the reward of goodness is multiplied. So, for charity given sincerely in Muharram you can see an increase in your life and deeds! We invite you through the month of Muharram to give generously. Donate to our Muharram appeal and help provide relief and protection for vulnerable communities worldwide.
Donate to our Muharram Appeal